To keep pace and to be at par with the developing world in the field of maritime higher studies and research, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University, Bangladesh, the first Maritime University of the country, was established by the BSMRMU, Act No. 47 of 2013. The University started its journey as the 37th public university of the country, the 3rd Maritime University in South Asia and the 12th Maritime University in the world upholding the motto "We Strive for Maritime Excellence".
On the 2nd February 2014, the University's first office was established at BNS Hazi Mohsin, Dhaka Cantonment, Dhaka with active cooperation of the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral M Farid Habib, NBP, ndc, psc. On the 1st March 2014 the University started its administrative activities by setting up a Liaison Office at 656 Link Road, Mirpur DOHS in Dhaka-1216. With a view to commence its academic activities, on 1st August 2015, the University was shifted to its temporary campus situated at Pallabi, Mirpur-12 in Dhaka. The permanent campus of the University was planned to be established in the campus of Bangladesh Marine Academy, Anwara in Chittagong. However, considering the space constraint in the campus of Bangladesh Marine Academy, the Government of Bangladesh is actively considering to allocate 100 acres of land at Char Rangamatia and Bakolia Mouja under Bandar Thana in the district of Chittagong for the purpose of establishment of a permanent campus of the University.